Musings of a Grinch (a single Grinch)

24 Dec

Ahhhh, Christmas Eve.

We made it, my fellow blogger elves. We made it to Christmas. And I know at times we didn’t think that we would.

I haven’t blogged in the past few days. Partly I’ve been ill, and partly I’ve been having some kind of bipolar tendencies. One minute I’m high as a kid full of sugar plums, buying everything the shops have to offer and singing Christmas carols to myself. The next, I’m lying on my sofa sobbing uncontrollably because I’m going to be alone forever. And ever.

I’m entering into the Christmas spirit, regardless. I bought my mum and I reindeer onesies, which have gone down a treat. But, I swear to god, Facebook was designed to make us all feel rubbish about ourselves at this time of year. If I see one more picture of a baby dressed like an elf I will scream.

The fact is, you matter less when you are single at this time of year. Family plans revolve around the people who actually have other halves. Conversations revolve around the people who have kids. Or are kids (which doesn’t make for the most interesting dialogue). Last Christmas I was so ridiculously happy. My ex and I were constantly texting and Skyping. Kind of sickening. Kind of gut-wrenchingly heartbreaking.

Tomorrow I get to be the spare-part sister (a role I play so well) at my sister’s house.

But then it’s Boxing Day. Which means Boxing Day sandwiches and plenty of sleep.

And then this stupid year is nearly finished.

Next Christmas, you mark my sarcastic words, things are going to be different.

If they aren’t, I’m going to avoid Facebook like the plague in the month of December. And possibly book myself a flight to Hawaii.

Advertisements

10 Responses to “Musings of a Grinch (a single Grinch)”

1. snowgood December 24, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

Merry Christmas anyway. See if you can sit down with “A Christmas Carol” by Dickens (or the Muppets if you prefer a visual extravaganza). It would bring me cheer no matter how “single” I felt.

• aprileb December 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Thank you! I watched The Muppets version the other day, and it did cheer me up!

2. Jackie December 24, 2013 at 8:53 pm #

I think single people are more interesting to catch up with than people with spouses/kids because their lives are less predictable. Maybe your family really does treat people who are in a relationship/having kids better, but maybe you are just noticing they get attention for those things because you wish you had them too and could talk about them. Also, that’s what people tend to make small talk about to people with kids (their kids). You’re every bit as interesting and if you’re family doesn’t see that, they’re crazy!

• aprileb December 24, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Ahhh, thank you love. I think when grandchildren are involved nobody else matters. I look around my parents lounge at all the pictures of my sister on her wedding day and with her kids. There is one picture of me. It’s from my sister’s wedding. I know I’m just jealous and bitter. I have so much to be grateful for, I really a, just being a Grinch.

3. plf1990 December 24, 2013 at 11:57 pm #

Hey you. Thinking of you at Christmas. Thank you for all your support in the last few weeks. Suffer through to new year and I can promise you, 2014 is going to be a great year for you. x

• aprileb December 25, 2013 at 11:52 am #

Merry Christmas to you too! 2014 is on the way xx

4. thewholeheartedblog December 25, 2013 at 1:33 am #

Just had Christmas with my family and also feeling the same. It isn’t even 9 yet and I am heading home to curl in bed with my dog ha. Happy Holidays, I promise next year will be different for us.

• aprileb December 25, 2013 at 11:51 am #

Merry Christmas, buddy! Very glad to have met you this year xx

5. luciddream85 December 25, 2013 at 1:41 am #

Hawaii sound wonderful.

• aprileb December 25, 2013 at 11:51 am #

Let’s make it a bloggers’ retreat x