Dear Future Husband

18 Sep

Please make sure there are always olives in the fridge.

Have a proper job. One that makes you happy. Be ambitious, and be glad that I have a career of my own.

Be proud of who you are, and content with your achievements.

Love your family. Love my family.

Please understand that when I say, “I don’t need any help”, most of the time I actually do.

Never shout at me. Or swear at me. Or push or shove.

Make me laugh so hard I pee my pants.

Read everything that I write, from attempts at novels to silly scribbles on post-it notes that I stuff in your pockets for you to find on the way to work.

Let me stop to say hi to cats and dogs who we meet on the street. Secretly find it adorable that I do this.

Sometimes cook me dinner, even though I’m much better in the kitchen than you are.

Love boldly. Let your heart go crazy. Feel the feeling. And tell me about it.

Buy me peonies every May. Just to celebrate the fact that they exist.

Know what’s going on in the world. Have an opinion. Tip generously.

Do not talk at length about every girl you have ever dated.

Stroke my feet, and my hair. Count my freckles. Look at my face when we make love. Enjoy sex any night of the week.

Take me to Japan.

Get the good olives. From the market. Stuffed with garlic. And kiss me even after I’ve demolished a whole stinky bowl of them.

Please feel lucky.

I thought I met you last year, but I was wrong. It was just someone who looked a little bit like you.

Advertisements

10 Responses to “Dear Future Husband”

1. jadedwildcat September 18, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

Fabulous idea to do this, woman. I love a lot of the items on this list. You’re so you and you always should be, and be loved for it.
    I’m like that with cats and dogs on the street too, btw heh – and I also detest that ‘talking about ex-gfs’ crap!
    Have a lovely evening… xoxo

• aprileb September 18, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

Thanks, girl. It makes me realise I was a way better girlfriend than he was boyfriend. Maybe you should make a list/letter? Might help you decide what’s important? You don’t need to blog it, of course. Xx

2. literarylydi September 18, 2013 at 9:57 pm #

This is great! Nice to keep in mind what you want from a guy. Once you’ve found him it lets him know what you want without you having to say anything! and of course if he’s the one he’ll read everything you ever write so that includes this!

3. luciddream85 September 19, 2013 at 12:02 am #

Beautifully written. And one day, that man will come along that will complete that list and then some.

4. Just Someone September 19, 2013 at 2:19 am #

That was awazing! As of reading what you write, i think it is a treat to the person reading it. So he can’t miss it. One thing I find difficult for others to understand is “I don’t need any help”. If my things were in public domain I would have shared this on Facebook! Maybe, I’ll prepare a list of my own.

5. annemariehro October 4, 2013 at 5:14 pm #

I am inspired 🙂 I will create my own “Dear Future Husband” and post it in my blog 🙂 Thank you for the inspiration! And I will give you the credit! You are amazing! Stay Strong!

• aprileb October 4, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

I’m so happy that it could bring you inspiration. You write that letter and don’t ever settle for less. X

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Trying to Regain Focus | angrybeeornottobee - September 29, 2013

[…] one. Something better. What is that? This has made me think that I need to do something similar to Pizza of Doom who wrote to her future husband. That way I know what I need to look for to find […]